Sunday, January 16, 2011

31 Days of Simple Blessings: Day Three- Weekly Family Traditions

Like many of you, I have lots of wonderful childhood memories. We went on several fun and exciting family vacations, participated in tons of extracurricular activities & sports and celebrated many gift-filled birthdays and holidays. Of all of the memories, my favorites aren't the ones that cost my parents hundreds or even thousands of dollars. My favorite family tradition was our Friday movie nights. 

Just about every Friday night, we headed over to our local Family Video store with our dad to pick out a few movies. Then we'd stop by the grocery store to pick out movie snacks-the best!! Back in the day our local Dominick's had a bulk candy section, so you could handpick a variety of stuff-such a treat!! Once we got home, my bro, sis and I would rush upstairs to put on our most comfortable pjs-then we settled into our fave spots on the couch-snacks in hand. I loved being glued to the television (& VCR) for hours and hours! We laughed together, cried together and occassionally got scared out of our pants together!! Those truly were the good old days!!

I'm proud to say that our Friday Movie Nights are still a tradition that we indulge in. Our five-year old Kanon absolutely loves it! We anxiously await our Netflix movie arrivals or pop by the Redbox to pick up a flick or two.  We've put our own little spin on the tradition by adding pizza & french fries to the menu! On Friday nights there is nowhere I'd rather be than at home on the couch with my family!

As always, your comments and feedback are appreciated!! Feel free to share any family traditions that you hold dear!! Thanks for stopping by!

Photobucket

No comments: