Monday, January 24, 2011

31 Days of Simple Blessings: Day 11- Its All About Giving Back

Kanon celebrating with Auntie Mika-Eastern Conference Champs 2008.
One of the most rewarding aspects of life is having the ability to bless and make a difference in the lives of others.  With giving back in mind, I helped my sister Tamika create a non-profit organization, Catch the Stars in 2004.  The sole purpose of the foundation is helping youth reach their dreams through the provision of positive academic & sports-related programs.

Through the Catch the Stars foundation, I had an incredible opportunity to meet and impact so many young people.  Now that my life has changed , I've had to take a few steps back so I haven't been able to volunteer and be a part of our programs like I was in the first few years.

Of all of the programs we had, the one I miss most is our STARS program. It stood for Sisters Teaching And Reaching Sisters and was an 8-week program for 12-16 year old girls. We met once a week and focused on topics ranging from self-esteem, assertiveness, goal setting, hygiene, money management, career exploration, fitness and so much more.

I truly bonded with the young ladies in our program and although I was in a leadership position, I learned so much from them too. I vividly remember creating Vision Boards with the girls during a session about focusing on your future. 

It's amazing to think that 5 years later my life feels complete and I have accomplished the goals (from my 2005 vision board) that I set for myself-marrying a wonderful man, having two beautiful children, buying a house and the list goes on. Vision boards truly work!!

One of my goals for 2011 is to get back into a community service mindset and looking for ways to connect with and make an impact in the lives of others. Despite being blessed with two incredible boys, I have strong girly desire to mentor a little sister. I will definitely keep you guys posted on what avenue I choose and I strongly encourage you to get involved in your community by making a difference in someone's life.

We are so blessed and have so much to share-please don't be selfish...give back!


 Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the main reasons that you are both very special is that your hearts are big and you truly are a givers. Your parents along with the rest of us are extremely proud of you and Mik and what the Foundation has and will accomplish and the lives that it will touch. God has blessed you.