Friday, March 25, 2011

Project Simplify Hot Spot: Kids Closet Organizing

   
Made labels using http://www.avery.com/

So, here we are at Week 3 of Simple Mom's Project Simplify Challenge. This week's Hot Spot was tackling kids clothes & toys!

This wasn't a tough challenge for me, since I try to stay on top of my kid's rooms. I did use this opportunity to streamline & sort out clothes & toys that my boys no longer use. As always, Simple Mom has some great tips and advice for keeping kids rooms under control. Here are a few pics of my boys closets. Having designated places for toys, books, video games & clothes makes it easy to keep clean.  
Kolt's Closet
 



Kolton's Closet:
1) Sort & put aside clothes that he's outgrown. (anything 0-9 months)
2) Put the next few clothing sizes in his closet. (12M, 18M, 24M)
3) Sort & store upcoming sizes in labeled bins. (3T, 4T, 5T, 4/5, 6, 7 & shoes). I only left the 2T & 3T bins in his closet and put the others under beds and in the garage.
 
4) Sort & organize toys.


 
Kolt's toy area

 
Kan's closet front view

  

















Now moving along.... I'm sure you've noticed that my boy's closets are multi-functional. They store clothes, toys, video games, board games, books and collectibles. Having the right storage compartments & shelving makes it easier to keep this space in check.      
                                                              
Kan's Closet
Kan's Games & Books
I followed pretty much the same 4 simple steps to organize Kanon's closet. First, I pulled anything that no longer fits. Most of those items get tossed if they're dingy or stored for Kolton to use later.


Secondly, I went through a bin of clothes I've been collecting in bigger sizes and added those items to his closet.  Bigger sizes were then stored in bins according to size.
 Kanon and I sort through his toys & games at least once a month to keep things from piling up. We really weed through everything and throw away toys that are broken or missing pieces. Toys that are still useable get handed down to little brother OR taken to Goodwill.

So there you have it! I'm looking forward to conquering the next zone Simple Mom throws at us on Monday!

Have a great weekend!! 
Photobucket






 




1 comment:

Angie @ Thrifty Like Me said...

This inspires me to go organize my own kiddos closets! Looks so neat and tidy!