Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DIY Decor: Personalized Designer Kitchen towels

First of all, it's good to be back! I truly have a new respect for bloggers because staying committed to posting regularly is hard work.

So, I wanted to share with you guys a fun little DIY project I came up with. I love solving simple problems around our house.

Despite having a dishwasher, we are dish washers. Because of this we go through countless paper towels and have loads of random dish towels laying around. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!! I had to come up with a solution for this... check this out!

I came up with the idea of having towels specifically dedicated to one thing. Hands-for drying your hands & Dishes-for drying off dishes. After searching high and low for towels with those words on them, I decided to make my own!

I think I've mentioned how much I love, love, love Kohl's. That's where I purchased these lovely Food Network Kitchen towel bars. They retail for $9.99 but of course I got them on sale for next to nothing (they were 50% off, then I had a coupon for 30% off-big smile!!). No installation necessary, they just slide onto cabinets.

It's nice to have an actual spot for the towels, plus I love how the stainless steel pops against the cabinets!

Feeling the need for a springy pop of color, I bought a 3-pack of Food Network 3-pack of ribbed Kitchen towels from there too. Same deal (50% off plus another 30% off-double score)!!!

I wanted to jazz them up a bit so I simply cut a scrap piece of fabric and ironed on the letters (which were purchased for a buck or two at Wal-Mart). I was too lazy to sew the fabric strips onto the towels, so I just used iron-on stitches (Stitch Witchery).

Not the best pic-but this one says Cucina!

Close-up of Hands towel















As you can see, I couldn't just stop at just making the Hands and Dishes towels. I used leftover letters to spell out Cucina (Spanish for kitchen)!! Plus, I like how it pulls the kitchen together! 

This fun & simple DIY project cost me under $20 and took less than an hour!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!



Photobucket






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

look at you ms. creative!!!! I love this it is so cute (:

Tauja said...

Thanks Tyra!! Cute and so, so easy!! Miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

Great idea, I'll definitely do this over the weekend. I also have that same problem.
bespoke kitchens suffolk

new york kitchen and bath said...

These will make perfect Christmas gifts. Thanks