Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kanon's Room Makeover Reveal


Kanon's Big Brother Room

So, I'm one of those people that is literally glued to my seat during any sort of HGTV or TLC home makeover show. I simply cannot get enough!

So,without further ado, I am excited to share with you the first of what we hope will be many makeovers.



Step One: New Bed-  A month or so ago, my son surprised me by mentioning that he was ready to get rid of his Little Tikes Race Car bed.  It broke my heart a bit, since this was truly his first bed. But, change is good, so it was time to let go.

 Being that we are on a tight budget, I searched Craigslist until we found the perfect (and most affordable) bed. And there it was-the perfect wood frame complete with a headboard & footboard for $50. After calling the seller and explaining that we didn't need her dirty old mattress (ick!!), she agreed to take $25 for it. Yipppeee!!!
 Once we'd made arrangements to pick the bed up, I listed Kanon's car bed on Craigslist and sold it within 48 hours for $100. (Even bigger score, since that's what we paid for it back in 08).

Step 2: Paint-Next we needed to pick the most fab paint color. Kanon wanted black, but we went with a Valspar Custom color "Loam". To incorporate his idea of black, I sanded and restained his new bed using Minwax Ebony wood stain.

Step 3: Accessorize: Despite being tempted to run out and buy all new stuff for his room, I decided to play around with what he already had. Most of the cool stuff in his room came from, you guessed it Goodwill!! I'll be posting about those steals & deals soon! 
                                
We purchased a new quilt & sham set ($40), but decided to use the simple star sheets that he had on his old bed. I love that the new quilt has more of a big boy feel, plus it's reversible so we can flip it to the side with the stripes!! We also purchased two navy Eclipse Blackout Curtain panels from Walmart.

Added some DIY photo art canvases (click here for the rundown) & wanted something to personalize his space so I bought a large paper mache "K" to paint and stick above his bed. Total cost for the art updates: $10.

Budget Recap
New bed      $25
Paint           $60
Quilt Set      $40
Artwork       $10
Rug             $20
Curtains       $40
Total Spent: $195

Kanon couldn't be happier with his new room and I couldn't be happier that I stayed within our cheapo budget!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for popping by!!
Photobucket












1 comment:

Carly said...

Okay, seriously! You may just be my new hero!! Despite all of the effort and energy that you put in to making that room look SUPER amazing, I am truly impressed with the small amount that you spent! WOW!! Now, could you just bottle up some of that energy and pass it on over here!?!?! ;0P You are Super Woman!!!