Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Thrifty Finds: Goodwill Furniture Shopping Tips




I purchased my matching desk and chair during two separate GW shopping trips!
 
Bought this sporty shelf for my sons room for $6.99!
When I first started Goodwilling, it was mostly for furniture. I was fresh out of college and was on a tight, tight budget. Secondhand furniture definitely fit the bill!

When shopping for furniture at Goodwill and other resale shops, here are a few tips that might help you out.

1) If you even remotely like something-grab the tag and grab it quickly. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is overthink a purchas
e. You've gotta act quickly or someone else will beat you to the punch!!!

2) Have an open mind. You might go into a store looking for one thing yet something else might catch your eye. While it's always good to have a Goodwill Wish list, it's also great to be open. You never know what you might stumble upon.


My GW coffee table-7 years old & still going strong!

3) Don't be intimidated. Scoring great deals often comes at a price. There are rare times when you stumble upon a beauty, but often times you'll have to bring out the beauty in the pieces you find. A few years back-I found what resembled a coffee table at one of our local GW stores. It looked a hot mess-the previous owners must've had kids so they'd glued gray rubber hosing around the entire table. I wasn't intimidated!

I scored this awesome table for $20 and scrubbed like you wouldn't believe. The good news-once it was cleaned up, it was a beautiful table. I'm almost positive that it was originally purchased from PierOne and likely retailed for upwards of $100.

It's been with me through three moves and is still one of my most cherished pieces.

I'd love to hear your secondhand furniture shopping tips!!

Thanks for popping by!!!
Photobucket

No comments: